M-DOT Offers Financial Assistance for Pothole Damages

M-DOT Offers Financial Assistance for Pothole Damages

If your vehicle has needed some repairs as a result of driving on Michigan's pothole-laced roads you may be able to get some help paying for the repairs.

The Michigan Department of Transportation has a claims process for motorists whose vehicles have been damaged by hitting a pothole on a state trunkline, but certain conditions apply.

First, the pothole must be located on a state trunkline which is a highway with an M, I or US prefix, since M-DOT only has jurisdiction over state trunklines. Other roads are under the jurisdiction of counties, cities or villages.

Additionally, to prove a highway defect claim, state law requires a motorist to show that the road agency failed to maintain the highway in reasonable repair. The motorist must show that M-DOT knew of the condition and had an opportunity to repair it, or that the condition existed for more than 30 days.

Few claims are eligible for payment because potholes develop quickly.

A claim form and instructions are available on the M-DOT website by clicking on Report A Pothole.


More Articles