WOOD News

 

Victim of Detroit Mob Beating Awakes from Coma

Victim of Detroit Mob Beating Awakes from Coma

A Macomb County man beaten by an angry mob in Detroit is awake and talking, after lying silent in a medically-induced coma for about a week.

Steven Utash’s family says he is off a ventilator and is able to breathe on his own, but his recovery is just beginning.  In a statement, the family says it seems Utash is having flashbacks to the assault and that he sometimes has a hard time recognizing his loved ones.

So far, five people have been charged in Utash's beating which police said took place when the 54-year-old Clinton Township man stopped to help a child he’ hit with his pickup truck.

In court proceedings Friday, a not-guilty plea was entered for 19-year-old Latrez Cummings, charged with assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to do great bodily harm in the case.

Seventeen-year-old Bruce Wimbush Jr., 30-year-old Wonzey Saffold, and 24-year-old James Davis were arraigned earlier this week on the same charges and are being held in the county jail on $500,000 bonds. They’ll be back in court on April 21.

A 16-year-old suspect, charged a juvenile with assault and ethnic intimidation, faces a hearing on Saturday.

Utash has no medical insurance, and his family has set up an online fundraiser to help pay for medical bills. More than $150,000 has been raised.

 

More Articles